Thursday 15 May 2008

Oatmeal Cookies with White Chocolate Chunks and Candied Ginger


















I love oatmeal and these chewy cookies spiced with ginger and dashed with white chocolate pieces are so great to snack on. As oats release energy slowly they are also very healthy as a snack or to accompany a dessert.

Its my birthday on Friday so as a tradition it is my day to bring in the cakes at work so I have made an assortment of cookies some with ginger and some without to suit everyones tastes!

RECIPE: Healthy, Chewy Oatmeal Cookies filled with candied ginger and luxurious white chocolate chunks.

Servings: Makes about 25 cookies (to make less half the ingredients!)

You will need:

270g old-fashioned rolled oats
120g wholemeal plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
100g unsalted butter, softened
100g brown sugar
1 large egg
Small squeeze of honey
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Hand full of semisweet white chocolate chips
Hand full of crystallized ginger, finely chopped

To make...

1. Arrange racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and pre-heat to 180 degrees

2. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper

3. In food processor, combine oats, all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, salt, and baking soda



















4. Pulse until oats are coarsely chopped, about 6 (1-second) pulses. Set aside

5. Using electric mixer at high speed, beat butter and brown sugar until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes

6.Add egg, honey, and vanilla and beat until smooth, about 1 minute

7. Add oat mixture and mix at low speed just until incorporated

8. Stir in chocolate and ginger

9. Drop rounded tablespoons of dough about 2 inches apart onto baking sheets



















10. Bake, 2 pans at a time, switching positions of pans halfway through baking, until golden and slightly crisp on edges, about 14 to 16 minutes

11. Cool on sheets 3 minutes, then transfer to racks to cool completely

12. Continue making cookies with remaining dough and cooled sheets

I made these when I got home from work and as I didn't have much time they took around half an hour or so to make.

I really hope they go down well as I want to give my fellow Froggers a treat! Whilst making these tasty treats I realised how much effort I wanted to put into them to satisfy my work friends and this is when it hit me to how much I am starting to care about them.

It seems to have taken me a while to let my guards down but everyone of them are great and unique and I really enjoy working with them... so thank you to my Froggers!.. You are all great!

1 comment:

testing said...

I can testify that these are very very tasty! having already had 4 cookies this morning.

Amen to Duckey's health corner!