Thursday, 8 May 2008
This wonderful recipe is simple and easy to make, it is really healthy and follows the path of the Mediterranean diet. Enjoy in the summer evenings with a glass of cold vino or serve cold during a summer picnic.
RECIPE: Delicious homemade summer pasta sauce delicately coating soft pasta shells with chunky vegetables and Italian bread.1 large red bell pepper
2 courgettes zucchini
5 cherry tomatoes, halved
2 garlic cloves,
1 tsp thyme
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 lb medium pasta shells
1 mozzarella ball
Servings: Makes 6 main-course servings.
You will need:
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion
1. Heat 3 teaspoons olive oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet
2. Sauté an onion, stirring frequently, until lightly browned for around 4 minutes
3. Add the bell pepper, and remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil and cook they begin to soften
4. Add the courgette, tomatoes, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper and simmer briskly, uncovered, for 15 minutes
5. While sauce simmers, cook pasta in a 6- to 8-quart saucepan of boiling, uncovered.
6. Meanwhile, sprinkle parsley and chopped thyme on a small plate. Roll cheese log in herbs to coat well.
7. Drain pasta and transfer to a large shallow bowl
8. Spoon sauce over pasta and serve topped with slices of cheese or you could use some grated Parmesan... serve with warm bread.
This recipe is so scrummy when you are feeling rather peckish the flavours from the sauce are much better that jars you but buy in the supermarkets plus you get the satisfaction of knowing that it is healthy and made by you!