Monday, 1 September 2008
These are wonderous little cakes... but surprisingly healthy of course! Its a simple case of getting out that whisk and making your yummy little meringues and creating almost a sandwich with organic yogurt and fruit... sounds tempting? Well here's how to make them!
Recipe: Golden Merringue nests sandwiched with fresh organic yogurt layered on top of fresh fruit topped with dates.
You will need:
• 100g flaked almonds
• 100g golden caster sugar
• 4 egg whites
• 175g strawberries
1. Heat oven to 140 degrees
2. Then line a flat baking sheet with baking parchment
3. Beat the egg whites together in a large bowl I am using my electric whisk!
4. Gradually add the sugar allowing the mixture to become stiff
5. Keep whisking until the mixture is glossy and soft
6. Fold in the flaked almonds and divide the mixture between the two baking sheets and spread in 20cm circles
7. Scatter remaining nuts over the top
8. Bake for 1 hour in the oven then turn the oven off to allow the meringues to cool for 1 hour
9. To serve remove one of the meringues off its baking tray onto a serving plate
Spread over half the yogurt (to spice up my yogurt I added to some plain some honey and coconut for extra flavour)
10. Place the second meringue on top then pile over the fruit and top with the remaining yogurt and strawberries.
11. Serve with some date and fresh figs to accompany.
These were really tasty and great to have as a dessert with a bit of a difference.
Try them yourself at home like I say not all desserts have to be unhealthy!