Giving our kitchens a low fat makeover... i'm talking food here!
The nice list VS the naughty list!
This is a two part post on having a low fat lifestyle!
It’s not easy having this “low fat” lifestyle so why not make life a little easier for yourself and make some changes to your kitchen.
This means replacing the high fat foods with healthy alternatives! So its out with the chocolate bars, crisps and crap and in with the healthy alternatives.
So my friends what do we choose and what do we lose? I will even go as far as to show you my own food stocks to prove I practice what i preach!
The nice list...
SNACKS in your cupboard!
- Wholegrain crackers
- Rice Cakes – The low fat and low salt version.
- Oat Cakes – Narins do a great selection.
- Nuts – (all natural not salted or roasted) Cashews, Almonds, Brazil, Walnuts, Pecan, Pine nuts, Hazelnuts, Macadamia, Peanuts.
- Seeds – Pumpkin, Sunflower, Poppy, Sesame, Flax seeds.
- Dried Fruit – Cranberries, Raisins, Apricots, Dates, Prunes, Figs, Sultanas, Banana, Blueberries, Cherries.
- Malt fruit loaf
These things are great to store in tubs or containers so you can add to meals or simply snack on.
OILS to cook with...
- Non stick 1 calorie cooking spray
- Sesame oil
- Soy Sauce
- Canola Oil
CANNED GOODS to store in your pantry...
- Beans – Black beans, Pinto beans, butter beans, kidney beans, Chickpeas, Black eyed beans, lentils, barley, quinoa, bulgur, kamut.
- Grains – Brown rice, wholgrain couscous, wholegrain pasta, Noodles.
- Vegetables – Peas, carrots, corn, beets, mushrooms, asparagus, potatoes
- Fruit - peaches, pineapple, pears, apricots, prunes, strawberries (but not in syrup make sure they are in juice)
- Tomatoes - Whole, diced or crushed, tomato purees, tomato sauces (with no added salt)
- Fish – (all in water) Tuna, Salmon, Sardines, Crab
- Soups - Choose Low-fat, low-sodium canned soups and soup mixes; low-sodium and fat-free broths
Great for emergencies!
JARS to save for a rainy day...
- Minced garlic
- Sundried tomatoes
- Pickled onion
- Low fat jam.
- Herbs – Basil, Mint, Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Dill
- Spices and seasonings - Garlic, garlic, tomato paste, chilli, ginger, Paprika, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauces and low fat bottled marinades
- Dressings - Vinegars, mustards, low-fat or fat-free salad dressings and mayonnaise, low fat hummous or salsa.
BREADS to store in your bread bin...
- Whole grain breads
- Wholegrain Wraps
- Wholegrain Pita breads
- Wholegrain / brown rolls
- Wholegrain bagels
CEREALS to kick start your day...
- Wholegrain based products such as shredded wheat
- Oats (porridge)
- Bran flakes or low-fat granola
SUGARS for that sweet moment...
- Maple syrup
DAIRY to build calcium the low fat way...
- Skimmed milk
- Low fat yogurt
- Light butter
- Free range eggs (you can always use egg whites)
- Choose low-fat or fat-free cottage cheese, cream cheese and hard cheeses
(ps - the bottle of coke in this photo is for Rob and guests!)
SWEETS for that moment of weakness...
- Fresh fruit – Strawberries – raspberries – apples – bananas
- Summer fruit pudding
- Low fat Jelly
- Low Fat Skinny Cow ice cream
- 85% dark chocolate
- Fish – Salmon fillets, Fish Fingers, Cod fillets
- Vegetables and fruit – Peas, Broccoli, Spinach, Mediterranean vegetables, Sweet corn, Carrots, Rhubarb, raspberries.
- Ice cubes (always on hand for a smoothie)
BEVERAGES to quench your thirst...
- Cranberry juice
- Green Tea
- Decafe Coffee
- Decafe Earl Grey
- Orange Juice
- Fresh meat and deli meats should be as lean as possible
- Try veggie burgers and sausages instead of beef patties
- Chicken is by far the healthiest meat
- Pork tenderloin is now considered as lean as a skinless chicken breast