Thursday, 25 September 2008
There is nothing like homemade bread... the smell... the taste... the texture and the great feeling of succeeding in making bread!
I prefer wholemeal bread to white, I think white bread is a bloater! Well too much of it anyway!
I have had a little play with making bread before and you can refer to my post "how to make the perfect loaf" featuring my dad.
This recipe is near enough identical but with the pics to go with it!
I always find you make bread in two stages, there is the preparation and the cooking...
A deliciously light, wholemeal loaf, speckled with pumpkin seeds, thinly flaked almonds and healthy sunflower seeds...
You will need:
* 500g of wholemeal flour
* 2 tspns salt
* 1 tsp of light brown sugar
* 1 packet of Yeast
* 25g of pumpkin seeds
* 25g almond flakes
* 25g of sunflower seeds
* 400ml warm water
1. First of all mix the flour salt and sugar in a bowl and add the Yeast powder to the dry ingredients.
2. Then add the seeds and nuts
3. Mix up some yeast in a jug of luke warm water
4. Make a dough mixing the yeast into the dry ingredients, when a slight dough is formed finish off with your hands and kneed the dough until smooth
5.Take the dough and stretch it on a flat surface and fold in the corners
6. Grease a tin and add the dough
7. To allow the dough to rise cover it with a damp tea cloth and leave for 30-40 minutes
1. Cook for 30-40 minutes in the oven at 200 degrees
2. The bread will be cooked when you tap on the load and it makes a hollow noise
This bread can also be frozen!
Labels: Healthy meal