Wednesday, 15 October 2008
Food is great when it is grown in seasons. We have now hit October which means Autumn is upon us.
I must say the beginning of Autumn is probably my favourite time of year, I love the colours, the feel of the season change and watching the leaves fall from the trees.
To celebrate my love of Autumn and the big kid in me I have decided to make a heart warming pumpkin soup with some of my Duckey Homemade bread to cosy up to on these darkening cooler nights.
RECIPE: Heart warming Pumpkin Soup made with fresh pumpkin, low fat crème fresh topped with pumpkin seeds served with warm Homemade Bread.
You will need:
1 medium Pumpkin
1 chicken stock cube (could use vegetable)
1 tspn olive oil
Salt and pepper to season
Pinch of chilli flakes
½ tub (100g crème fresh)
Pumpkin seeds top decorate.
1. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil into a pan
2. Add to this the chopped onion – cook but do not brown
3. Cut up and de-seed a pumpkin (this was honestly the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do in a kitchen so beware!)
4. Add this to the onion mix and cook for 10 minutes
5. Once softened add 750ml of water and stock to the mixture and boil for a further 10 minutes
6. Once simmered add half a tub of crème fresh (low fat)
7. When this has warmed through season to taste with salt, pepper and chilli flakes and add mixture to a blender.
8. Blend together and re-heat or you can store in the fridge until you are ready to eat your soup.
9. Serve with Duckeys homemade bread and add a few pumpkins seeds to the top.
I am not being biased but this soup was amazing! I had my mum come down to visit me and I made her this for dinner (including Duckeys chocolate biscuit cake for dessert) and it went down a storm!
When a certain food is in season it really is the best time to cook with it, as the flavours are fresh and natural. This will in turn reflect in your food!