Wednesday 15 October 2008

Duckeys Halloween Pumpkin Soup!


Food is great when it is grown in seasons. We have now hit October which means Autumn is upon us.

I must say the beginning of Autumn is probably my favourite time of year, I love the colours, the feel of the season change and watching the leaves fall from the trees.

To celebrate my love of Autumn and the big kid in me I have decided to make a heart warming pumpkin soup with some of my Duckey Homemade bread to cosy up to on these darkening cooler nights.



RECIPE: Heart warming Pumpkin Soup made with fresh pumpkin, low fat crème fresh topped with pumpkin seeds served with warm Homemade Bread.

You will need:

1 medium Pumpkin
1 Onion
1 chicken stock cube (could use vegetable)
1 tspn olive oil
Salt and pepper to season
Pinch of chilli flakes
½ tub (100g crème fresh)
Pumpkin seeds top decorate.

To Make:

1. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil into a pan

2. Add to this the chopped onion – cook but do not brown

3. Cut up and de-seed a pumpkin (this was honestly the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do in a kitchen so beware!)


4. Add this to the onion mix and cook for 10 minutes


5. Once softened add 750ml of water and stock to the mixture and boil for a further 10 minutes


6. Once simmered add half a tub of crème fresh (low fat)


7. When this has warmed through season to taste with salt, pepper and chilli flakes and add mixture to a blender.



8. Blend together and re-heat or you can store in the fridge until you are ready to eat your soup.


9. Serve with Duckeys homemade bread and add a few pumpkins seeds to the top.



I am not being biased but this soup was amazing! I had my mum come down to visit me and I made her this for dinner (including Duckeys chocolate biscuit cake for dessert) and it went down a storm!

When a certain food is in season it really is the best time to cook with it, as the flavours are fresh and natural. This will in turn reflect in your food!

No comments: