Tuesday, 29 December 2009
Now a days when we think of a Prawn Cocktail something from the 80's is likely to pop into our heads... I always think of Prawn Cocktails as a Christmas starter (probably as this is what we used to have a Christmas when I was younger.
So I was watching Gary Rhodes Christmas special the other day and he did a great take on a Prawn Cocktail by turning it into a posh layered cake.
So I would like to share the recipe, which is good as a light lunch as well as a starter!
RECIPE: Festive Prawn Cocktail cakes, layered with a prawn and cucumber filling topped with roaster red pepper and king prawns.
You will need:
1 pack of king prawns
1 pack of lettuce or spinach
3 tablespoons of mayo
1 tablespoon of ketchup
1 red pepper roasted and skinned
Cake ring to layer fillings
1. Firstly roast a red pepper in the oven, when roasted remove the skin and allow to cool, using your cake ring molds now cut out the circular shape.
2. In a bowl mix 3 tablespoons of mayo with 1 tablespoon of ketchup and season to taste. (Put some aside if you would like to add extra)
3. Now mix in half the pack of king prawns and dice some cucumber to add in too!
4. Take your cake ring and put one of the red pepper circles at the base.
5. Next layer in some spinach then add the prawn and cucumber sauce filling.
6. Then repeat and layer some more spinach and finally the top being the red pepper circle.
7. On the red pepper decorate with the remaining prawns and decorate the plate.
8. You can swirl some ketchup and pepper over the top of the cake after removing the rings.
And its as simple as that a modern take on a traditional classic!