I think my followers will always know when I am having a busy time of things as my blogs will become very spaced out! But I have been cooking none the less it is just a case of getting my posts online! So to make up for it - here is a recipe you will adore (hopefully as much as I do!)
It was my mums birthday last week and I wanted to make her a birthday cake - one to remember... so this is the recipe for my adorable owl birthday cake in chocolate!
RECIPE: A tremendous two tier chocolate and vanilla birthday cake decorated with owl like features!
You will need:
For the vanilla sponge
- 350g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 350g caster sugar
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 350g plain flour
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 4-5 tbsp milk, at room temperature
For the chocolate fudge frosting
- 350g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 225g unsalted butter
- 225ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 450g icing sugar, sifted
For the decoration
- chocolate buttons, in different sizes
- chocolate vermicelli sprinkles
- 1 flaked chocolate bar
1. Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees or gas mark 4!
2. Mix together the cake mix - this includes the butter and sugar to start, cream until mixed then add the eggs.
3. Add the flour but make sure this is sifted first.
4. Add the baking powder which will help the cake to rise.
5. Once you have a mixture, butter two cake tins and line with baking paper.
6. Divide the mixture and put into the oven to bake for around half an hour.
7. The cakes will be light and bouncy once cooked.
8. The leave to cool for about ten minutes.
9. While the cake is cooling time to make the frosting!
10. In a bowl melt the butter and chocolate then in a separate bowl mix together the vanilla flavouring, icing sugar and milk.
11. Then mix in the chocolate and allow to set and thicken.
12. Once all have cooled put a layer of the frosting on the first base whilst sandwiching the second on top.
13. The spread the rest of the mixture over the top and sides of the cake.
14. Time to decorate - see the image and use buttons, flake bar and toffee chocolate bar to make the owl come to life.
This cake went down a treat not only did it look very cute, it tasted like heaven!
So if you want to treat someone you love then this recipe is a must! More coming soon - let me know if you like the recipe.