Friday 18 April 2008

How to make the perfect loaf...




















I love to eat healthy bread... I cant say I am particularly fond of white bread as it tends to lay more heavy once eaten.

So I wanted to have a little play taking the basics of bread making and creating something scummy! So I did... and not only did it go great with the homemade soup I made but also made a fantastic dessert.

I was first inspired about making bread from my dad... now there is the perception that men can't cook, however with all the famous chefs such as Jamie Oliver and Ramsey showing us girls how its done I dont believe this to be true!.. Anyway after tasting my dads homemade bread I was hooked (mind you its a shame he only ever made it once!)

I always find you make bread in two stages, there is the preparation and the cooking...


RECIPE:

A deliciously light, wholemeal loaf, speckled with pumpkin seeds, thinly flaked almonds and healthy sunflower seeds... melts in your mouth warm and a real crunch cool.

You will need:

  • 1oz 4 of wholemeal flour
  • 2 tspns salt
  • 1 tsp of light brown sugar
  • 1 packet of Yeast
  • 25g of pumpkin seeds
  • 25g almond flakes
  • 25g of sunflower seeds
  • 400ml warm water

    STAGE ONE
1. First of all mix the flour salt and sugar in a bowl and add the Yeast powder to the dry ingredients.

2. Then add the seeds and nuts

3. Make a well in the middle and stir together with a wooden spoon




















4. When a slight dough is formed finish off with your hands and kneed the dough until smooth

5.Take the dough and stretch it on a flat surface and fold in the corners

6. Put in a pre-greased loaf tin and make a rounded top pushing down the corners at the side of the tin

7. Then apply a damp tea cloth on top of the tin and leave in a warm place for the bread to rise, this usually take 30 - 40 minutes

STAGE TWO


1. Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees and once the bread has risen bake in the oven for a further 30-40 minutes

2. Once cooked turn the tin upside down (the bread should make a hollow sound) and let rest for ten minutes


I served my bread with some homemade soup and after a few hours had a couple of slices with some Nutella and a coffee. The seeds complimented the flavors a treat!

You can also freeze this recipe and double the quantity if you are making two loafs!

No comments: