In the summer what more do you want than berries! Berries are so good for you and really add something to a tasty snack or dessert, so how about a berry filled treat. They are delcious and easy to make.
I prefer eating something like this to chocolate sometimes as you know you are getting your vitamins and nutritional values from the fruit!
RECIPE: Gorgeous berry filled bakes, made from fresh wholefood ingredients!
Servings: Makes 36 squares.
You will need:
For base and topping
180g old-fashioned rolled oats
90g wholemeal flour
100g packed light brown sugar
1 and 1/2 teaspoons finely grated fresh orange zest
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
100g unsalted butter, melted
300g raspberries or blueberries
50g granulated sugar
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degree
2. Line a 9-inch square metal baking pan with a 12-inch-long sheet of foil, pressing it into bottom and up sides then butter foil
Make base and topping:
1. Blend together oats, flour, brown sugar, zest, baking soda, and salt with your fingertips until well combined
2. Stir in butter
3. Reserve 3/4 cup of mixture for topping; transfer remainder to baking pan, pressing it firmly in bottom to form an even layer
4. Bake in middle of oven until golden, 12 to 15 minutes
Make filling while base is baking:
1. Stir together berries, sugar, juice, and cornstarch in a small saucepan, then bring to a boil over moderate heat. Cook, stirring, until thick and no longer cloudy, about 5 minutes, and remove from heat
2. Assemble and bake squares:Spoon filling onto oat base, leaving a 1/2-inch border around edge
3. Crumble reserved oat mixture on top
4. Bake in middle of oven until golden and bubbly, 30 to 35 minutes
5. Cool completely in pan on a rack
6. Holding 2 ends of foil, lift from pan and put on a cutting board
7. Cut into 1 1/2-inch squares.
You will have a plateful of yummyness!