So this might not be your usual ingredient but this special sandwich contains sweet potato. I love to work with sweet potato as you may have noticed but mainly because it is just so healthy for you!
This sandwich is fresh exciting and puts a new spin on something normal!
RECIPE: Vegetarian sweet potato sandwich layered with Avacado seduced with a poppy seed spread served in brown wholemeal bread.
Servings: Makes 2 servings
You will need:
1 small sweet potato peeled and cut into three 2-inch-thick slices
2 tsp honey mustard
1 tbsp light mayonnaise
1/4 tsp poppy seeds
4 slices whole wheat bread
4 red onion slices
1/2 small avocado
4 tomato slices1
/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup finely shredded lettuce (or alfalfa sprouts)
1. Cook sweet potato slices in boiling salted water until tender, about 15 minutes
2. Drain and rinse with cold water, then drain again. Let cool for 5 minutes, then cut each slice into two thinner slices
3. Whisk together honey mustard, mayonnaise, and poppy seeds in a small bowl
4. To construct the sandwiches, first spread half the poppy seed mixture on 2 of the bread slices, then place half of the onion, avocado, and tomato slices on top of each slice; sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper
5. Add a layer of sweet potato slices, cheese and lettuce
6. Top with remaining bread
7. Slice each sandwich in half, securing each half with a toothpick
8. Serve with sliced vegetable wedges and hummus.
What a refreshing recipe!