Thursday, 8 May 2008
Coconut Macaroons must be one of my favourite treats! They are pretty healthy and super tasty... when we had our house warming they went down a storm.
RECIPE: Crunchie balls of coconut macaroons served with low fat chocolate dipping sauce...
Servings: Makes about 22.
You will need:
14-ounce package dessicated coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees
2. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
3. In a bowl combine flaked coconut and vanilla extract in large bowl
4. In another bowl beat egg whites and salt to build medium-firm peaks
5. Fold 1/3 of egg whites into coconut mixture to lighten, then fold in remaining egg whites
6. Drop half of coconut mixture by level tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart
7. Top each with a second level tablespoonful coconut mixture
8. Bake until golden, about 25 minutes. Cool macaroons on parchment paper
9. Slide metal spatula under macaroons to remove (Macaroons can be prepared 1 day ahead. Store in single layer in airtight container at room temperature.)
Perfect for parties or a little treat during the day or evening! I love coconut!