Monday, 9 June 2008
I was baking in the kitchen this weekend; I had some extra time and ingredients so thought – why don’t I create my own cake using the tastes I like!
So I formed a cake of two layers… half was a plain sponge with chopped dates and the other a chocolate sponge with walnuts and almonds.
It turned out surprisingly well and here is how to make it…
You will need:
100g wholemeal flour
100g brown sugar
1 egg, 1 egg white
50g chopped dates
1 tspn cocoa powder
1. In a bowl add the butter and sugar, cream for five to ten minutes
2. Then add the eggs
3. Followed by the flour sifted (you then have your cake batter
4. Separate the batter into two bowls
5. In one add your dates
6. Grease a cake tin with 1 calorie spray
7. Add in the sponge and date mixture and cook for 10 minutes
8. In the other bowl add cocoa powder and nut mixture
9. Take the cake out after 10 minutes and layer the chocolate mixture on top and cook for a further 10 to 15 minutes
You will have a delicious cake, the dates make it moist while the nuts add a crunch!